Saturday, January 24, 2009

Don't forget the words!

Audience: Sr. primary (though this would work for combined singing time, especially if you have the little ones roll the dice)

Preparation: Make a set of dice, one that has the different verses on each side, the other with dots/squares like a regular dice. I don't have a 1 or 6, so I just repeat numbers 2-5 until the sides are filled up.

How to play:
Have some children come up and roll the dice. You could have the same child roll both, or have two children to each roll one.

The "Verse dice" tells the children which verse they will be singing.
The "number dice" tells the children how many words they will have to remember after the music stops.

**In order to review the verses entirely, each time the dice rolls on a "new" verse, we'll sing that verse through as review, before we play the game.***

For example, the verse dice lands on "verse 2" and the number dice lands on 4. We will sing all the way through verse 2 for a quick review. Then, we will start back at the beginning, singing, and the pianist will stop at any spot of her choosing. From that stopping pont, the kids will have to remember what 4 words come next. I'll call on a volunteer for the answer, and if they get it right, they will get to tell the pianist where to stop in the next round. (I'll have them stand or sit by the pianist with a stop sign to raise when they are ready to stop the music.)

The dice are rolled again. this time it lands on "verse 1" and 2 words. We review verse 1, then the game begins again.

The goal is to repeat the song as many times possible while having fun and to really learn the words. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great Idea! I love it and think it will work well for both Senior AND Junior Primary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a lifesaver! I've been racking my brain trying to think of what I can do for tomorrow that will be simple prep but also fun and also a review for the song we've been learning. Sometimes I feel like I beat the songs to death but this should be really fun!

    If it looks like I'm boring them to death, I might add that if they can "fill in the blanks" correctly 5 times in a row we'll do a quick fun song.

    ReplyDelete