Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Verse Review

I used this to review the first verse of How Firm a Foundation, but it could be used with any song.

My visuals for the first verse look like this. . .

The previous week I had introduced the visuals, explained the song and taught the verse. My goal now was to review and cement what they had learned.

I had the oldest class put the visuals in order (as shown above) on a bulletin board before we finished singing through the song twice. When they were done we sang it together as an entire primary (ours is combined Jr & Sr) to check it.

I told the children I was going to trick them by turning over one visual. Then they sang it again--without me singing on the part with the visual turned over. We did this over and over until all the visuals were turned over and I wasn't singing at all. Each time I made a big deal about how NOW I could trick them or said things like, "Oh well, I have only turned over red so far and I KNOW I'll trick you by doing a YELLOW one" etc. As they sang, I would cover my mouth and put my arms out or my hands on my hips with an expression like "I got you now!" on my face. The kids ate it up. They LOVED it. We sang the song repeatedly and they had a lot of fun trying to prove to me that I COULDN'T trick them. After everything was turned over I told them they must have super x-ray vision to see through the paper and I bet if I turn the bulletin board around THEN it would trick them. Even the little sunbeams were singing their hearts out to prove me wrong. The kids had a lot of fun and didn't even realize how many zillion times we sang the verse!

4 comments:

  1. What a great blog! I just wanted to let you and your readers know about my site:

    www.ldsprimaryposters.com
    OR
    www.ldsprimaryposters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have found your blog earlier. I love your visual! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love This Idea...Brilliant!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, eventhough I've already taught it, but I will certainly use your Incredible Idea to Review the song. If only I saw it before...better keep up for next time. Thanks to all for your brilliant talents. There's so much to learn and to share around. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete